This savory Skillet Shepherd's Pie recipe is the perfect comfort food for a cozy weeknight dinner, combining ground beef, vegetables, and a delicious potato topping in a single pan.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (instant or homemade)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onions and carrots, and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and break it up with a spoon. Cook until the beef is browned and cooked through. Drain any excess fat.
- Stir in the minced garlic, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. Cook for 1 minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Sprinkle the all-purpose flour over the beef mixture and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes to remove the raw flour taste.
- Pour in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in the frozen peas and corn. Simmer the mixture for 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the skillet from heat. Spoon the mashed potatoes evenly over the beef mixture, making sure to cover the surface completely.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the mashed potatoes.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the edges are bubbling.
- If desired, broil the top of the pie for 2-3 minutes to get a golden-brown crust.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and allow the Shepherd's Pie to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired, and enjoy!